Re: Package system

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Package system
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:27:41 +0200

Soren Hauberg wrote:

- extra/engine has libraries and headers that are needed by other programs. They should be installed in /usr/include and /usr/lib or /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib.

- extra/mex and main/fixed have libraries and headers that need to be available for compiling other oct-files. They should be installed along side the octave libraries and headers.
The problem here is that not all users have the privileges to do this. We could
of course
check this and tell the user if she doesn't have the needed privileges.
This should be possible in the current setup, by providing
'pre_install.m', 'post_install.m', and 'on_uninstall.m'. These could
also handle the installation of the files. However, this really isn't a
very pretty solution (it's really a hack). Personaly, I don't think the
package system should take extra care to make packages like this
possible as I'm guessing there won't be many packages like this.
Hi Soren,

The reason the fixed toolbox is like this is that cygwin/mingw resolves the symbols in a binary at link time. It is therefore impossible to have a library under cygwin/mingw that has unresolved symbols. Now imagine I have two oct-files that both rely on the same basic functionality, under systems other than cygwin/mingw the basic functionality can exist in one of these oct-files that will be the first to be called, and the other can use it. Under cygwin/mingw this is not possible and you're left with two choices. Either all of the oct-files can be built into a single file with linking to this single file or a both oct-files can link against a separate library containing the basic functionality. The first is easier, except under mingw with the lack of symbolic links this means that each oct-file is very large. However, the limitation of the first scheme is that it isn't extensible..

In the case of the fixed point type, I wanted to be able to write new oct-files for further functionality at will and so just for mingw/cygwin this split was necessary. Note that the split only exists in this case and not otherwise. Therefore the installation question is simplified to can you install the necessary dll's under windows, not a more generic question...

Regards
David

An oct-file is effectively a library and so if I won't to create an oct-file that depended on the fixed type it needed to have access to the a separate library

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary