Re: Intel Mac?

From: Michael Creel
Subject: Re: Intel Mac?
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 09:27:12 +0000

There's a live CD available that works (in theory at least) on Mactel

http://www.mactel-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page

This is by one of the guys who made Linux run on the MS Xbox (which works great, by the way, I've used it). Given that, it should not be long before Debian is working.

Michael

John Swensen wrote:
Jonathon,
I think there is a basic Fink up and running for the Intel Macs. Have you tried that? I know fink provides everything I need for my PowerPC Mac, but since FinkIntel is still preliminary, you might have a heck of a time getting ALL the dependencies to compile. Good luck. I would be interested to see MacIntel benchmarks. Plus, I am contemplating getting a MacbookPro for when I go back to school this fall and was wondering how it would compare to a powerful Dell for scientific computing.

John Swensen

Jonathan Shea wrote:

Hi everyone,

I love octave, and I'd like to thank you for all the work that's gone into it.

I'm _dying_ to get a build working on my new Intel Core-Duo based computer, but I haven't even found anything (free) that will compile Fortran, much less successfully built octave.

I realize this might be one of those "not as easy as it seems" issues, but I thought I'd throw it out there, just in case it wasn't happening for lack of requests. If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Thanks again,

-Jon