Re: Octave for windows (new location) - MSI 3.1 required

From: Wolfgang Köbler
Subject: Re: Octave for windows (new location) - MSI 3.1 required
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:46:04 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:04:09 +0100
Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
> I was not aware of this. I just used the redistributable package/exe,
> as found on
> MSDN. I thought it would work out-of-the-box. Does it work if you
> download the package at
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE&displaylang=en
> and install it separately?
AFAICS vcredist_x86.exe is included (However I have not checked
versions) in the Octave-Installer. The error message comes up while
vcredist_x86.exe is executed by the Octave-Installer (you can see
that in the progress window). I assume I would get the same error
message when executing it seperately (but I have not tried). At least
the download-page for vcredist_x86.exe says:
> Required Software:
> o Windows Installer 3.0 Windows Installer 3.1 or later is recommended.
I think the problem is not at all Octave- or Octave-Installer-specific.
Just read
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=149470&SiteID=1

I did not try to install vcredist_x86.exe separately as my box is
already running with Octave (and thus has vcredist_x86.exe installed). I
could install it with no problems after I installed MSI 3.1. However I
do not believe that uninstalling stuff and reinstalling it would tell
us if it would work on a cleanly-installed box.

> What's your Windows version?
I got the error message on some pre-installed Windows XP Home.
Earlier, I had installed Octave on a pre-installed Windows XP
Professional (IBM), where it worked with no problem.

AFAICS there are two ways working around this problem:
The simple one: Just tell people s.th. like:
> You need MSI 3.1 to install Octave 2.9. If you get the error message
> "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable: Error 1723" during
> install, you forgot to install MSI 3.1.
or:
> You need MSI 3.1 to install Octave 2.9.
> However MSI may already be installed on your system.
> If you install Octave without MSI, you will get the error message
> "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable: Error 1723" during
> install. Just install MSI (http://www.google.de/search?q=MSI+3.1) and
> retry.

The advanced one: Include MSI 3.1 in the install, just as
vcredist_x86.exe already is.

Bye,
Wolfgang