RE: Re: MSVC runtime library license problem

From: michael . goffioul
Subject: RE: Re: MSVC runtime library license problem
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:33:25 +0100

> My primary concern with the msvcrt80 is not licenseterms, but the
> fact that the runtime lib installation requires adminstrativerights to a system.
> Other than this, your octave package installs under theradar of system admin,
> which makes this a very portable app (context USBflash drive, other person's
> computer). With this compiler, rt libs just goin system32 or in the bin directory.

Apparently, there's another method explained here:
http://dingo.sbs.arizona.edu/~sandiway/sicstuswindowsxp/%20Running%20a%20very%20simple%20Win32%20app%20on%20a%20comp%20without%20VC++%202005%20Express.html

I wanted to include this installation method in the installer if the runtime is not
detected and the user has no admin rights. However, I couldn't actually test it as
I have the runtime libs installed normally in WinSxS and these *always* takes
precedence on local assemblies (like the method above proposes). If anybody
could confirm that this method works, it'd be nice btw.

> I am using your version for 200+ students this semester. The only ML work
> concerns symbolic toolkit, and as soon as the Win version supports some
> variant of popen and it is possible to control maxima as a subprocess, my
> students will be able to use octave 100%.

Which variant of popen aren't supported in the Win version?

Michael.