ATLAS

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: ATLAS
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 06:20:39 +0900 (JST)

Micheal wrote;
Theoretically, it's suboptimal. In practice, I ran a benchmark script in octave
with 2 versions of ATLAS: one compiled for P4 (512KB L2 cache) and one
compiled for Centrino (2MB L2 cache). The test was run on the Centrino
CPU. Both ATLAS versions brought big speed-up compared to the generic
Fortran libraries, but the gain of using a Centrino-compiled ATLAS instead
of a P4-compiled ATLAS was not that high (IIRC it was < 10%). I didn't test
the other possibility: running the Centrino-based ATLAS on the P4 machine.
The binary installer only provides the P4-compiled ATLAS, which probably
provides good results on most CPU out there (P4, AMD, Centrino...)
I have a question just for my reference.
What version ATLAS did you select for ?
stable 3.6.0
develeopment(unstable) 3.7.xx

The 3.6.0 is surely stable but I feel it is too old now.
For 3.7.x, the term unstable make me anxious.

Tatsuro

http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/toolbar/