Re: Issues with build Fedora RPMs of octave packages

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: Issues with build Fedora RPMs of octave packages
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 10:00:42 +0200

Am Freitag, den 21.09.2007, 09:49 +0200 schrieb David Bateman:
> Orion Poplawski wrote:
> > David Bateman wrote:
> > /usr/libexec/octave/2.9.14/oct/i386-redhat-linux-gnu
> >
> > Possibly this should get changed to
> >
> > /usr/lib[64]/octave/%version/oct
> >
> > depending on how you feel about libexec.  libexec is generally for
> > programs and scripts that are only executed by other programs, not
> > libraries.
>
> Well are oct-files libraries? From a certain way of looking at it yes,
> but you can't be guaranteed to be able to link to them..

FHS says the following about /usr/lib:

/usr/lib includes object files, libraries, and internal binaries that
are not intended to be executed directly by users or shell scripts.

libexec is not part of the FHS.

That said, I think it's not really that important under which
subdirectory (lib/ or libexec/) the files go, as long as it's not
share/ .

        Thomas