Re: imread (repost)

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: imread (repost)
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 04:07:56 -0500

address@hidden wrote:
Quoting Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden>:

100% transparent would be not visible, I guess. The applications would be special effects or masking off a rectangular image to make it appear of a different shape.

But what does 'not visible' mean? Should we just show the background color of the figure?

Yes, whatever is behind the image (up to the point of plotting the image) gets
blended with the image.  Wherever the image is 100% transparent the contents
behind it is completely visible, i.e., unaltered.

If so, I can easily imagine myself being confused whenever I see an all gray image -- am I looking at an all gray image or a transparent one?

Depends on the contents of the background and on the contents of the alpha
channel.  A gray background (as opposed to white or black) and potentially
single shaded images isn't a good combination in any circumstance.

Dan