Re: Question about shipping OpenSSL with octave binaries?

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Question about shipping OpenSSL with octave binaries?
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 10:34:04 +0200

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Thomas Weber
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Am Montag, den 01.09.2008, 10:04 +0200 schrieb Michael Goffioul:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to know if anybody has some hints about licensing
>> problems regarding shipping OpenSSL with the octave binary
>> package. I've read various things about possible incompatibilities
>> between OpenSSL license and GPL [1], and I'm a little bit confused.
>
> The best description I know of is
> http://www.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html
>
> The usual way around this is to add a "link exception" to the GPL'd
> code. Probably won't work for Octave due to the sheer number of
> copyright holders.
>
> What do you need OpenSSL for? Maybe GnuTLS is the easiest way out.

I don't personally "need" OpenSSL. But to make urlwrite more complete,
providing a cURL compiled against OpenSSL is probably better. I already
had a look at GnuTLS, but OpenSSL compiles under MSVC out of the box,
while GnuTLS does not (and it's not straightforward to make it work).

Michael.