Re: Octave and CUDA/GPGPU programming

From: Andreas Romeyke
Subject: Re: Octave and CUDA/GPGPU programming
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 09:28:59 +0200

Hello,

Am Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:09:33 -0400
schrieb John Swensen <address@hidden>:

> I was just wondering if anyone has tried compiling the mex file
> provided by NVidia for doing 2D FFTs using a video card GPU?
> http://developer.nvidia.com/object/matlab_cuda.html If there are any
> in the Octave community familiar with CUDA and GPGPU programming, I
> can think of a few other operations that would benefit greatly (e.g.
> conv and conv2, sum, others???)

There is a student supported by me who is developing Octave-plugins
using Brook or CGIS (a GPGPU project of University of Saarbrücken, I
think).

He decided not to use Nvidia's CUDA because license issues. There will
be problems with Brook too, because the Brook development ist still
stalled. The original developers are angry about AMD, because AMD's
Brook+ (extensions) developers does not return code back.

CGIS is a general GPGPU project and will be released under a free
license.

My  student will finished his work between 12-2008 and 1-2009. Please
be patient... :)

Bye Andreas

PS.: If you have algorithms which would benefit from parallel
architectures of GPUs, please let us know. But there are some
limitations. The transfer between GPU and CPU is expensive, random
memory access will be expensive, too. The maximal amount of data is
limited and the precision could be restricted to single float on older
cards. The advantages of GPU programming found in existing literature
is outdated by the progress in CPU development and therefore you should
rethink about your problems.
--
Software Developer / Dipl. Inform. (FH)
Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences