Re: How to deal with octave HG archive correctly?

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: How to deal with octave HG archive correctly?
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:13:01 +0100

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Michael Goffioul
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The easiest option is probably to use
>> hg qimport -r tip
>> hg qpop
>> hg pull -u
>> hg qpush
>> # fixup possible conflicts
>> hg qfin
>>
>> note: qdelete -r is deprecated. You should be using qfinish instead.
>
> I know. But qfinish is not available in the mercurial version
> I'm using (1.0.2, bundled in TortoiseHg 0.5.0).
>
>> note2: Typically the only conflict after qpush (if any) is in
>> ChangeLog files. For that purpose, I've modified Mercurial in such a
>> way that when an entry is simply prepended to a ChangeLog file, a
>> context-free diff is generated - this makes patchwork much smoother.
>> If you're interested, I can send you the mercurial patch.
>
> Yes, please send it. However, I was not talking about conflicts
> during qpush, but a problem that might occur between the pull
> form octave archive and the final push to the same archive. If
> for instance you push another changeset, I won't be able to do
> a push, because it would create another head. I'll have the pull
> again, merge and commit to my local archive, then push to the
> octave archive. But this will also push the merge changeset to
> the octave archive, which John does not want to.

Yes, I understood. qimport will do what you need - it is able to put
an already finished patch batch back under the control of mq.

The patch is attached. I made it against a Mercurial snapshot from
September; if it does not apply for you, and the fixup is not trivial
(imports often change), please tell me.
After applying and recompiling mercurial, you should add the following
line to your .hgrc file, [diff] section:
changelogmask=*ChangeLog

this will enable the special treatment described above for all files
matching the mask.

> Michael.

cheers

--