Re: Missing ScreenSize & ScreenPixelsPerInch properties

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Missing ScreenSize & ScreenPixelsPerInch properties
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:16:38 -0500

On Nov 10, 2008, at 11:15 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

In Matlab a "ScreenSize" property is available,

        get (0, 'ScreenSize')

If there are no objections I'd like to see a "ScreenSize" property added to "root" in Octave as well. As we have no method to actually determine the size of the display, I'll suggest it be a *writable* property and set to some nominal default. The site below suggests 1024x768 to be typical

        http://www.rochester.edu/IT/reports/graph/screenstat/screenchart.php

To allow this property to be used with various figure and axes "position" related properties the "ScreenPixelsPerInch" property is also needed.

        get (0, 'ScreenPixelsPerInch')

and again, I suggest this be a *writable* property and set to a nominal value (say 72).

If someone skilled in c/c++ can take care of this, I'm happy to do what I can to have the gnuplot backend respect the various properties impacted. The files I'm thinking of are gnuplot_drawnow, __go_draw_figure__, __go_draw_axes__, and some tweaks to subplot.

Ben

If someone can give me some hints, I am happy to try to add the "ScreenSize" and "ScreenPixelsPerInch" properties to root ... *warning*, my knowledge of c/c++ is practically non-existent.

Where are the properties added, and how are they initialized?

Ben