Re: improving axes property behavior for the gnuplot backend

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: improving axes property behavior for the gnuplot backend
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 18:10:07 +0100

Ben Abbott wrote:

David, regarding the "set margin" commands ... after looking over the situation, I'm inclined to use the "set size XX,YY" command to specify the axes "position", and then use "set label ...." to generate the axis labels, title, and ticklabels. Is there any reason such an approach will not work

It won't work because the "size" specified by gnuplot is the size of the plot and its labels. So if you use "size" and not the "margin" commands, it becomes impossible to align plots in subplots or in plotyy. Frankly, if we want aligned subplots and plotyy commands I see no way around this..

btw, I've not looked into the requirements of 3D plots, and was thinking about leaving that alone.

I'd ignore 3-D as well, tough it would be nice if gnuplot with an appropriate "view" of a 3-D plot produced a plot of the same size as a 2-D plot (cf the pcolor function).

Cheers
David

Ben

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)