Re: GUI work (was: Graphical help browser)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: GUI work (was: Graphical help browser)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:56:55 -0500

On 25-Nov-2008, John Swensen wrote:

| You can definitely use any editor you want, and if there was some way
| to put emacs into the IDE I would do it, but that just simply isn't
| possible.

In the NEWS file from the current Emacs development sources, I see:

  * Changes in Emacs 23.1

  ** Improved X Window System support

  [...]

  *** Emacs now supports the XEmbed specification.
  You can embed Emacs in another application on X11.  The new command line
  option --parent-id is used to pass the parent window id to Emacs.  See
  http://standards.freedesktop.org/xembed-spec/xembed-spec-latest.html
  for details about XEmbed.

  [...]

Would that be sufficient to allow you to embed Emacs in a gtk
application?