Re: uncommitted changesets

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: uncommitted changesets
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 10:23:38 +0100

Ben Abbott wrote:
I reviewed the changesets I've submitted and noticed that three are still outstanding.

I don't think anyone wants to see patches go unlooked at in this manner. It is really these contributions and how they are dealt with that is at the heart of an open-source (free-software) project.

I think the issue here is that John has always been responsible for the auditing of all patches before they are committed to the Octave repository and he is look for a new job at the moment and so is unlikely to be able to reply rapidly. He recently made the master repository on Savannah open to a few developers so that they could commit without his intervention, but we're all still in the mindset that John will be the one to audit patches before they are committed.

There are a couple of ways forward for that point and we as the community of Octave developers have to decide what to do. These might be

1) John finds a job that allows him to continue his work as the Octave project manager, and things continue as usual. This seems to me to be unlikely and so we can't count on it

2) Someone else steps forward and accepts the role of the audit of all patches sent to the list. This also seems unlikely to me, and perhaps not even a desirable thing to want to happen

3) We accept that a group of people will be responsible for the auditing of patches before they are committed. In this case I think we really need a good bug tracker, otherwise we will loose patches.. Yes I know debbugs exists for Octave, but no one is using it, as its easier to send to the mailing list and let John deal with the bug/patch tracking in his head. This case needs a person to step forward and accept the role of the bug/patch tracker and maintenance of this system

4) We might reduce the bar where a developer is accepted as some one with commit access to the repository. The risk here is that faulty, unaudited code will be committed to the repository. However, I'm not sure this is a major issue, as with a large number of people building from the repository regularly these issues will be found rapidly and repaired..

My feeling is that a combination of 3) and 4) is what should be done, so who volonteers for the job of bug/patch tracker manager :-)

As for the patches you identified

(1) [changeset] - x/y/zticklabel as a numeric vector

https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2008-November/009375.html

Seems ok.. Applied.

(2) [changeset] Missing ScreenSize & ScreenPixelsPerInch properties

http://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2008-November/009451.html

Seems ok.. Applied..

(3) [changeset] - have the gnuplot backend respect properties

http://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2008-November/009469.html

This one is harder, as it a much larger patch and includes lots of changes that are essentially whitespace changes. I applied and check quickly your patch and it appears to work. So I applied it on the principal that its a requested feature and if there are issues then others will find them if I don't :-)

Cheers
David

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)