Re: the competition's expm vs ours

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: the competition's expm vs ours
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 08:32:24 -0500

On 10-Dec-2008, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| from you I just picked at random, namely 349a555729a9 (8353 in
| Savannah) violates the guidelines: It contains tabs, contrary to our
| convention.

Not that I care all that much one way or the other about this
convention, but I think you added it to the standards prior to any
discussion about it (that I remember) :-)

In any case, I agree that just having the "mode: c++" setting in the
emacs variables block is not all that helpful.  And adding a lot of
specific c++ mode variable settings would not be very good.  So I'm
happy to just drop them.  We can add a list of Emacs (and Vim and
whatever) c++ mode settings to the coding conventions section of the
manual if anyone cares.  I don't use anything special, just what Emacs
c++ mode does by default, but then I tend to fix a few things that it
does and that I think are strange.  But it does not matter to me all
that much as long as we have a mostly consistent style.  Just don't
make me gag by writing things like

  void*vPtr=pMyAwesomeFunction( dVarTheFirst,iVarTheSecond );

or

  for(;;){
          theloveofgod(and,all,that,is,good);
          usesomefreakingwhitespace();