Re: porting arapck code to octave

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: porting arapck code to octave
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 23:51:27 +0100

Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 6:15 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
Are we going to include arpack sources in Octave?  I'd prefer to leave
it as an external dependency unless there is some good reason to do
otherwise.

The only reason is probably availability - if a GNU/Linux distro
doesn't provide ARPACK as a package, then it will probably provide
Octave without eigs unless someone volunteers to maintain ARPACK for
that distro. It's not a strong reason, probably.

Yes the ARPACK website no longer seems to be maintained. Viral Shah sent me a whole set of patches for ARPACK in 2006 that he and Chao Yang (a co-author of ARPACK) wrote. The link to the website these lived on however seems to be broken..

I cc'ed both Chao and and Viral Shah at the addresses I had with the hope of getting through to them and see what their thoughts are about future support of ARPACK now that the license has changed to a two clause BSD license. This gives them the possibility of publicly releasing their patches. If they are unwilling to support a download site for these patches, maybe a distribution such as debian might be willing to host the patches directly..

I agree with John that it is best that Octave doesn't host its own copy of arpack however.

Regards
David

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)