Re: About diagonal matrices

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: About diagonal matrices
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 07:50:03 +0100

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 9:56 PM, dbateman <address@hidden> wrote:

> Jaroslav Hajek-2 wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 2:15 PM, dbateman <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> the goal of this patch was just to get the right behavior of scalar times
>>> sparse matrix wrt the type. That is  it returns a sparse matrix rather
>>> than
>>> a full ones. The changes Jaroslav made to the mappers and operators
>>> changed
>>> the behavior of 0/0 however
>>>

>> But what changes? I'm not aware of any changes I did to change
>> behaviour of sparse matrices.
>> If you know of a revision, either in 3-0-x or development archives,
>> where NaN * speye (3) returned a matrix filled with NaNs, please tell
>> me its number. Chances are that I unintentionally broke something,
>> though I hope not to.
>>

> Ok then maybe I'm confusing things, the operations that I want to see giving
> NaN values for sparse matrices where appropriate and sparse matrices if the
> sparse_auto_mutate flag isn't set are
>
> speye(3)/0
> speye(3).^0
> speye(3)* NaN
>
> etc. Yes the last two are still giving odd behavior and you probably aren't
> repsonsible.. I'll look at it when I'm back at home..
>
> D.

You mean that the first one is correct? Because it gives sparse(NaN(3,1)) !!!
If yes, then I 100% agree with you, but it's the same situation as
with the third one.
At least, I don't see any difference.

Please, David, before you start modifying anything, I kindly ask you
to read the whole conversation and at least try to explain to me what
*exactly* you would like to change and why the current behaviour is
wrong.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert