Re: 3.2.0 RC7: test failures on MacOS

From: Jean-Francois Cardoso
Subject: Re: 3.2.0 RC7: test failures on MacOS
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 02:44:00 -0700 (PDT)

Jaroslav Hajek-2 wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Jean-Francois Cardoso<address@hidden>
> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks to John and Jaroslav for explaining the BLAS problem reported
>> earlier.
>>
>> I build 3.2.0 RC 7 on MacOS, but I see a lot of test failures,
>> all related to structs, and apparently to struct arrays.
>>
>> I append below the relevant parts of fntests.log
>> and the result of octave_config_info.
>>
>> Let me know if more info could be useful.
>>
>> Cheers, JF
>>
>> http://www.nabble.com/file/p23872602/fntests.log fntests.log
>> http://www.nabble.com/file/p23872602/cfginfo cfginfo
>
> Interesting. Since nobody else sees those failures, I guess you'll
> need to do some investigation what's wrong. Some of the errors
> resemble problems fixed long ago - are you sure you didn't mix up some
> sources?
> If not, my very wild guess is that maybe your g++ somehow manages to
> miscompile Octave. 4.2.1 is somewhat old; maybe there were some bugs?
>
> Try isolating a single piece of code that does not work, for instance
> a(1).x.x = 1; a(2).x.x = 2;
>
> put it in a script, then try running with ./run-octave -valgrind and
> check for invalid memory accesses and the like.
> if it does not help, you can try to debug Octave (./run-octave -g).

Hi Jaroslav,
To make sure I was not messing with the sources,
I have re-built everything starting from the tar balls.
The result is that the same build script (appended below)
produces a working octave 3.0.5 but a faulty octave 3.2.0.

I am not skilled enough to use dbg or valgrind
but I may try upgrading gcc and gfortran from 4.2 to 4.4
and see if it solves the struct array problem (without
destroying my system ;-)

I will report on this later today if the upgrade goes well.

Cheers, JF

#!/bin/bash
# Build script for octave

## Pick one
version=3.1.55 ; release=""
version=3.0.4 ; release="-rc7"
version=3.0.5 ; release=""
version=3.2.0 ; release="-rc7"

tarball=octave-$version$release.tar.gz

rm -fR cd octave-$version/
tar xzvf $tarball
cd octave-$version
export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include/readline"
export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib"
export FFLAGS="-ff2c" ; ## for octave 3.2.0

###  Test gcc 4.2.   Where has gcc_select gone ?
export CC=gcc-4.2
export CPP=cpp-4.2
export CXX=g++-4.2
export CXXCPP=cpp-4.2 ##      C++ preprocessor ????????

./configure
make -j2
make check