conflicting changesets for __go_draw_axes__

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: conflicting changesets for __go_draw_axes__
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:23:09 -0400

I just noticed an unexpected conflict between two changesets.

The one below changed the format for tick labels for log scale to be "10^{%T}"

        http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/f2152fad3563

This more recent one dropped the "*" from the x11 fontspec (as gnuplot passed this to x11 which apparently results in a search through its fontpath for each text object with that fontspec. Hence some complaints that plotting was slowed down.

        http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/a00e219c402d

I see no reason why changing the gnuplot fontspec from "*,12" to ",12" would impact text objects with a format specification of "10^{%T}", but when both of these changes are present, the log scale axes label are always "10" with no exponent.

Using the current developers sources, this problem can be seen by ...

        clf
        semilogy (1:100)

Petr / Ethan, I've cc'd you in the hope one of you can give me some advice as to why this is happening and how to fix it (I see it in both a recent copy of gnuplot's developers sources as well as in 4.2.2).

Ben