Re: Text engine for OpenGL renderer

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: Text engine for OpenGL renderer
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 22:35:14 +0200

Michael Goffioul schrieb:
The error you get is quite odd and makes me think about a stack
corruption. I've pushed a changeset that should (hopefully) improve
the situation where a font cannot be loaded. Could you give it a try?

Thanks Michael for your help and for this cool implementation,

even if your changes of the sources didn't change anything for me. I now do know what the problem was: I compiled fontconfig against libxml2 (but libexpat can also be used instead). There was a WINDOWSTEMPDIR_FONTCONFIG_CACHE directory written into my home directory and other things from the Windows build were taken, so I knew there is something completely wrong (on my Mac, imagine ;)

I found out that WINDOWSTEMPDIR_FONTCONFIG_CACHE is defined in <fontconfig>/src/fcxml.c and then my mind made click and I thought, better use old libexpat library instead of new libxml2 lib - even if I don't know why _WIN32 is defined while compilation?! Now things seem to work (at least I see the same results as Ben (but I still must do some more investigations to make sure this was the dependency trick to do).

Ben, can you confirm that your libfontconfig.dylib is compiled against libexpat* and not against libxml2*?

  otool -L <path to file>/libfontconfig.dylib

Thanks again and best regards

  Thomas

Although in your specific case (as opposed to Ben), I have no idea
why the font cannot be loaded in the second "plot" call. The changeset
I pushed should help to recover from such situation, but won't help to
fix the reason of it (== font not being loaded). You might want to run
octave in gdb and trace what's going on in ft_manager::do_load_font().

Michael.