Re: linking liboctave fails

From: Rik
Subject: Re: linking liboctave fails
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:54:39 -0700

John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 20-Aug-2009, Rik wrote:
>
> | 8/20/09
> |
> | Yet more issues with the configuration files and building.  I don't have
> | the development package for libcurl.  This is fine and the configuration
> | scripts give me the following message:
> | configure: WARNING: cURL library not found.  The urlread and urlwrite
> | functions will be disabled.
> |
> | That is indeed what used to happen but now the build process ignores the
> | configure script and attempts to build urlwrite anyways which results in:
> |
> | g++ -shared -o urlwrite.oct pic/urlwrite.o -Wl,-rpath
> | -Wl,/home/rik/downloads/movies/local/lib/octave-3.1.55 -L. -loctinterp
> | -L../liboctave -loctave -L../libcruft -lcruft  -lcurl
> | /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcurl
> | collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> | make[2]: *** [urlwrite.oct] Error 1
> | make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
> | make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/rik/wip/Projects_Mine/octave-dev/src'
> |
> | I hope someone can restore the correct build behavior.
>
> If you don't have the curl libraries, then the definition of CURL_LIBS
> in the Makeconf file should be empty.  Is it?  If not, why not?  How
> is the test for the library succeding if you don't have the library?

There has been a lot of change to the configure scripts.  When I wrote,
about a week ago, CURL_LIBS was defined to -lcurl despite not having the
development version of libcurl.  The problem has been fixed and now
CURL_LIBS is empty.  I haven't bothered to check which Changeset
actually solved it.

--Rik