Re: gl2ps

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: gl2ps
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 09:36:02 +0300

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Michael D
Godfrey<address@hidden> wrote:
> Am I oversimplifying a lot by saying that a routine
> like:
> Matrix
> opengl_renderer::draw_text (const std::string& txt,
>                 double x, double y, double z,
>                 int halign, int valign, double rotation)
>
> which calls:
>  gl2psDrawPixels( GLsizei width, GLsizei height,
> GLint xorig, GLint yorig,
> GLenum format, GLenum type,
> const void *pixels )
>
> instead of glDrawPixels (w, h,
>         GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, pixels.data ());
>
> would do most of the work?

It should work, However the problem with this approach is that you'll
have bitmap fonts, which have the following drawbacks:
1. they do not scale nicely, so they would probably look bad in a printout
2. the bitmaps will increase the filesize considerably.

OTOH, using the gl2ps text routines which use the ps fonts have the
drawback that they do not support anything but "normal" text (i.e. no
LaTeX)

Shai