Re: bug tracking

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: bug tracking
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 16:52:38 -0800

tir, 02 03 2010 kl. 18:01 -0500, skrev John W. Eaton:
> On  2-Mar-2010, Jordi Guti rrez Hermoso wrote:
>
> | Are you still averse to the idea of merging that website with
> | octave.org ? I thought that historically they were separate because
> | you wanted to keep a close watch on the quality of code that got
> | labelled as "Octave". I'd like it if all got merged together or was
> | more closely and obviously affiliated (think of the questions in the
> | user list about people asking for this or that function and apparently
> | not aware that it's implemented in Octave-forge).
>
> One problem with merging is licensing.  Octave is part of the GNU
> project.  We don't want to host any non-free stuff as part of the
> Octave project on savannah.

Currently, we have two non-free packages: 'gpc' and 'spline-gsvspl'.
They seem to be unmaintained. I would not object to discarding these
packages. Besides this, I believe all packages are BSD, GPL 2 or 3 or
public domain.

> Another concern I have is with people contributing code and abandoning
> it.  How do the Octave Forge maintainers deal with that problem?

This happens and it is a problem. The current 'solution' is that
unmaintained packages doesn't get any love.

> I know that I don't want to become the default maintainer for all
> contributed Octave packages.

I think we all feel like that way, which is why some packages aren't
actively maintained. I guess we should be better at communicating that
some packages are without maintainers.

Soren