Re: build fails: $B!F(Bstrerror$B!G(B is not a member of $B!F(Bgnu

From: davidg
Subject: Re: build fails: $B!F(Bstrerror$B!G(B is not a member of $B!F(Bgnulib$B!G(B
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:20:27 +0100

Quoting "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>:

> On 25-Mar-2010, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
>
> | I'm not sure whether, say, <cstring> is required to include
> | <string.h>. I guess not. But GCC normally does it, so I'm surprised it
> | doesn't work for David.
>
> I'm not sure that it is required, but up until now we haven't had any
> problems assuming that it is, and all the GCC/libstdc++ versions that
> I know about do include it, so I agree that it is surprising that
> David had a problem.
>
> I've committed a changeset that undoes most of the recent (last two
> days) changes related to gnulib.
>
> Until I can understand what caused the problem, I'd rather not make
> these changes.
>
> David, will you please update and see if you can reproduce the problem
> on your system?  After updating, please either do a completely fresh
> build or do the following
>
>   remove the libgnu directory from your build tree
>   run autogen.sh
>   run configure
>   run make
>
> If you still have the problems you did before, then please send the
> error message you see and a copy of the preprocessed file that is
> causing the trouble so I can look at it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> jwe

I removed all files in my vpath and removed the gnulib/ and libgnu/
directories in the source tree. Then I pulled, updated and ran
autogen.sh. I configured in my vpath again and ran 'make'. I'm still
having problems.

Versions:

I'm running newer versions of automake, autoconf and libtool than those
part of the debian system, installed separately.

$ hg tip
changeset:   10467:13c1f15c67fa
tag:         tip
user:        Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden>
date:        Fri Mar 26 08:24:04 2010 +0100
summary:     guard against recursive calls of missing_function_hook

$ git log | head
commit decf3017fc407865acdaa20ee4795b50a010239a
Author: <snip>
Date:   Fri Mar 26 09:14:34 2010 +0100

The error during make is very similar (if not identical) to what I got
earlier. Producing dir-ops.ii:

$ cd liboctave
$ g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
-I/Home/staff/davidg/octave-patching/octaveorg/liboctave -I..
-I/Home/staff/davidg/octave-patching/dependencies/CHOLMOD/Include/
-I/Home/staff/davidg/octave-patching/dependencies/UMFPACK/Include/
-I/Home/staff/davidg/octave-patching/dependencies/AMD/Include/
-I/Home/staff/davidg/octave-patching/dependencies/CAMD/Include/
-I/Home/staff/davidg/octave-patching/dependencies/COLAMD/Include/
-I/Home/staff/davidg/octave-patching/dependencies/CCOLAMD/Include/
-I/Home/staff/davidg/octave-patching/dependencies/CXSparse/Include/
-I/Home/staff/davidg/octave-patching/dependencies/UFconfig/ -I../libgnu
-I/Home/staff/davidg/octave-patching/octaveorg/libgnu
-I/Home/staff/davidg/octave-patching/octaveorg/libcruft/misc
-I/Home/staff/davidg/octave-patching/dependencies/UFconfig/ -O0 -ggdb
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H -mieee-fp -I/usr/include/freetype2 -Wall -W -Wshadow
-Wold-style-cast -Wformat -O0 -ggdb -pthread -O0 -ggdb -MT
liboctave_la-dir-ops.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/liboctave_la-dir-ops.Tpo -c
/Home/staff/davidg/octave-patching/octaveorg/liboctave/dir-ops.cc  -fPIC
-DPIC -o .libs/liboctave_la-dir-ops.o --save-temps
/Home/staff/davidg/octave-patching/octaveorg/liboctave/dir-ops.cc: In
member function ‘bool dir_entry::open(const std::string&)’:
/Home/staff/davidg/octave-patching/octaveorg/liboctave/dir-ops.cc:61:
error: ‘strerror’ is not a member of ‘gnulib’
$

The file is too big to fit into the mailing list.

http://www8.cs.umu.se/~davidg/dir-ops.ii.gz

David