Re: Bug in cut() (mistakenly sent to "devel")

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Bug in cut() (mistakenly sent to "devel")
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 00:51:19 -0400

On  5-Apr-2010, forkandwait wrote:

| > Please report bugs using the bug tracker.  There is a link to the
| > tracker at
| >
| >   http://www.octave.org/bugs.html
|
| I submitted the bug, but I was hoping for confirmation that is
| actually a bug,\then I will go fix it and submit a patch (to
| the bug tracker discussion, I suppose?)
|
| Could someone post a discussion element that says Yea or Nay
| on the bug tracker?
|
| I don't know if it can be assigned to me, but I would take it.

Bugs can only be "assigned" (we don't really assign work, that tag
really means that someone has decided to declare that they will work
on it) to project members.  But that doesn't mean that you can't work
on a bug report.

Although the idea of assigning at first seems appealing as a way to
avoid duplicating work, I'm not sure it works that way in practice.
We really don't have that many cases where two people solve the same
problem and effort is wasted.  I think it is actually more likely that
someone will claim a project and then not work on it.  Meanwhile, no
one else does either because they see that the project has been
"assigned".

So if you see something that needs to be done, then I'd say do it and
post a changeset.