a few first build notes

From: Tommy Guy
Subject: a few first build notes
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 02:15:36 +0100

Dev team,

I am working through a first build of Octave and I noticed a few
problems/bugs that deserve mentioning.  If the bug is me, not the
code, then feel free to ignore.

System: Ubuntu 8.10 (yes, I know - old) with self compiled recent
versions (newer than Debian package) of everything listed in HACKING.

Problems:
1) lex.ll could not find any of the symbol types.  Line 3556, for
example, failed because EPOW was unknown.  I saw the comment

// These would be alphabetical, but y.tab.h must be included before
// oct-gperf.h and y.tab.h must be included after token.h and the tree
// class declarations.  We can't include y.tab.h in oct-gperf.h
// because it may not be protected to allow it to be included multiple
// times.

near the top of the code.  Two problems.  First, y.tab.h doesn't seem
to exist.  I thought yacc/bison made y.tab.c.  Second, neither y.tab.c
nor y.tab.h was included in lex.ll.  When I included y.tab.c in the
correct place, the build carried on.

2) I didn't have OpenGL installed and this meant gs2ps wouldn't
compile.  When I installed it, problem solved.  However, the configure
script did not warn me that this would be a problem.  Pretty picky
point, but it makes the code a little more user friendly.

Those are my experiences.  I know completely new builds are rare so
some of these problems might not creep in too often.  If either is off
base, I would love to know why.

Thanks!
Tommy Guy