Re: Bug tracker for Octave Forge

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Bug tracker for Octave Forge
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 14:30:33 -0400

On 10-Jun-2010, Søren Hauberg wrote:

| tor, 10 06 2010 kl. 09:11 -0700, skrev Rik:
| > >
| > > I don't want the Octave bug tracker to be the place to report bugs for
| > > Octave Forge packages.  Those packages are not part of Octave and I
| > > don't think we want to appear to be responsible for the bug reports
| > > for them.
| > That was generally my feeling.  Although it's off-putting, I think we need
| > to flag these bugs using the Octave-Forge tag; write a quick response
| > saying that the problem function is in Octave Forge, not Octave; link to a
| > location to report Octave Forge bugs; and put the bug in a queue to be
| > closed in a few weeks.
|
| The problem with this approach is that most people simply will not
| report the bug to Octave-Forge. It is at least rare that Octave-Forge
| gets bug reports after users have been told to report their bug
| elsewhere.

So what are we supposed to do with the bug reports for packages?  We
are unlikely to fix them ourselves.  I would prefer to not have to
notify anyone else about incoming reports that are for packges, but
would be willing to do it if necessary.  Where should we send a
message?  Could we just do the following:

  set the status to "Octave Forge"

  add address@hidden to the mail notification CC
  list for the bug report

  post a comment saying

    that this bug report is for an Octave Forge package, not Octave.