Re: problem with autoconf

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: problem with autoconf
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 12:12:49 +0300

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 12:02 PM, CdeMills <address@hidden> wrote:

> Shai Ayal-2 wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 11:38 AM, CdeMills <address@hidden>
>> wrote:
>> Just so that we are on the same page, the build process is (from the
>> octave distribution directory):
>>
>> ./autogen.sh
>> ./configure
>> make
>>
>> did you skip the autogen.sh step?
>>

> Aha. I just made, as usual for autoconf-based systems, in octave build
> directory:
> autoheader
> autoconf
>
> This 'autogen.sh' indeed makes a big difference. OTOH, There is a
> bootstrapping step during which items seems to be fetched through 'git'.
> Can't everything be put under one Revision Control System?

The bootstrapping step gets stuff from gnulib, which is an external
library. Unlike other external libraries for which the user is tasked
with updating, by default autogen gets the gnulib stuff using git.
However if you have gnulib already installed and/or you are behind a
firewall you can use a local copy (although getting from git gives you
the latest and greatest) using the  --gnulib-srcdir=DIRNAME option to
autogen,sh

Shai