Re: GraphicsMagick++ expert help needed

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: GraphicsMagick++ expert help needed
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 14:21:16 -0400

On 14-Sep-2010, John Swensen wrote:

| I just posted to the bug tracker with a proposed fix.

Thanks, it seems to solve the reported problem so I checked it in.

As I mentioned in the comment I posted on the tracker:

Unfortunately, if you try

  imwrite (img, "foo.jpg", "tif")

the file is written in JPEG format, not TIFF even though we are
setting the type to "tif" before calling writeImages.  Ugh.  This
"feature" is a bit annoying, as I think the contents of a file should
determine what is in it, not the filename extension.  I don't suppose
this is a big problem because not many people are likely to want to
mix things up this way.  But what if I don't know about all the naming
conventions and I have some other reason to use .jpg, like maybe it
stands for "John's Perfect Graph".  Who cares if I want to write TIFF
data to a file with a .jpg extension?