Re: Possible (summer of code) projects for Octave

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Possible (summer of code) projects for Octave
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 22:22:51 +0100

man, 03 01 2011 kl. 21:49 +0100, skrev Daniel Kraft:
> I'm also not really an expert or experienced with JIT technology of
> related stuff, unfortunately.  What I do for gfortran/GCC is basically
> front-end stuff (like implementation of Fortran 2003 OOP features) and I
> did not yet touch any optimization or code-generation in GCC.  But on
> the other hand, I guess that using existing frameworks like LLVM the
> main concern is not compilation technology and code generation but more
> about how to translate Octave into a more static form.

The simplest thing (according to the compiler people I hang out with
from time to time) would most likely be to output C++ code. Then the
missing part is essentially "just" type estimation. I don't think this
is particularly easy, but I'm really no expert here...

>   But this means that currently there are no projects in planning or
> development to tackle something like that?

Not anything I know of.

> My first thought was more about using simple parallel algorithms (and
> probably mostly shared-memory with few cores rather than cluster
> computing) for stuff like matrix/vector element-wise operations,
> dot-products or BLAS in general.  Although, I think that it is not
> always easy to come up with code that performs well on different
> architectures or for different problem sizes -- and AFAIK, Octave uses
> BLAS/LAPACK routines for (some of) those operations, right?  I don't
> really know, but I could imagine that there are already projects out
> there to develop (free and portable) parallel BLAS routines.  So maybe
> one could "simply" try integrating them into Octave and implementing
> some framework to control parallelization depending on the problem size
> and user preferences or the like.

I would tend to agree. Having mechanisms for switching BLAS/LAPACK
implementation at run-time could potentially be quite nice. I'm not sure
it's particularly easy, though.

> But of course also extension of selected existing Octave functions in a
> way you mention it above seems like an interesting idea.  Do you know
> what the opinions of "the community" are with respect to this ansatz in
> general?  Would it be considered useful, and for which functions /
> functionality?

I would consider it useful. My guess would be that others would feel the
same way if the code was simple enough to maintain. Such features would
never stand a chance if they where too hard to maintain.

Cheers
Søren