Re: copyright notices (was: Re: Are we (nearly) ready for 3.4 yet?)

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: copyright notices (was: Re: Are we (nearly) ready for 3.4 yet?)
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 17:01:31 +0100

tor, 06 01 2011 kl. 10:53 -0500, skrev John W. Eaton:
> On  6-Jan-2011, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
>
> | I also think that having a written copyright assignment as a
> | precondition to any significant changes could lose you some potential
> | contributors. And it's not just because of the copyright itself, but
> | because programmers are lazy folk :)
>
> It seems not to hurt Emacs or GCC, so what is different about Octave
> (or the people who contribute to it)?

On the other hand it seemed to hurt OpenOffice.org quite a bit (it was
one of many complaints that ended with the LibreOffice fork).
Personally, I wouldn't find signing over copyright, but it would be time
consuming (finding a fax is practically impossible in Denmark, and going
to the post office to send a signed document to the US would require an
hours work), so I'd rather not (as Jaroslav said: people are lazy).

Also, what about deceased contributors?

Søren