Successful 32-bit build of octave 3.3.54 on vanilla Mac Pro with Snow Le

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Successful 32-bit build of octave 3.3.54 on vanilla Mac Pro with Snow Leopard, no Macports, no Fink
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 04:42:53 -0500

On 25-Jan-2011, Richard Campbell wrote:

| If I try to make a 64-bit binary I get configure: error: BLAS
| doesn't seem to support 64-bit integers. This is incompatible with
| --enable-64.

I'm a bit confused at this point.  By 64-bit binary, I assume you mean
built so that it uses 64-bit pointers, correct?  Are you also using
--enable-64?  I would expect --enable-64 to fail unless you have also
built your BLAS and LAPACK so that they use 8-byte integers for
indexing arrays.  This is a separate issue from whether you are using
a system that has 64-bit pointers.

In addition to BLAS and LAPACK, there are other numerical libraries
that also need to be compiled to use 8-byte integers for array
indexing.  See the install.txi file for more info about which ones.

Does building in 64-bit pointer mode but without --enable-64 work?  If
not, what error do you see then?