Re: README.MacOS

From: Lukas Reichlin
Subject: Re: README.MacOS
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 09:22:23 +0100

On 27.01.2011, at 03:02, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2011, at 9:30 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

>>> I'll make these changes and post the result later today.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Ben
>>
>> A modified version is attached.
>>
>> Ben
>>
>> <README.MacOS>
>
> I've pushed a modified version of README.MacOS
>
>       http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/2ba904181687
>
> The section on describing "Manual Package Management" is still empty. I was
> pleased to see the several emails exchanged on this subject. Unfortunately, I
> have been unable to keep up.
>
> I encourage those who are building without Fink and MacPorts to propose
> instructions that can be inserted into the current version. Changesets are
> preferred, but I am happy to handle a diff as well.
>
> We may wish to include 32bit and 64bit sections.
>
> Thanks
> Ben

Follow-up comment:

   2.220
 +    sudo port uninstall octave-devel

   2.221
 +

   2.222
 +This will remove Octave and leave its dependencies in place. Now Octave may be

Probably the command
sudo port deactivate octave-devel
is better than the "uninstall" one since you can activate the port again by
typing
sudo port activate octave-devel
without a rebuild. It is possible to have several inactive versions of a port
at the same time.

Lukas