Re: Scalable id/logo/application icon in inkscape

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Scalable id/logo/application icon in inkscape
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 10:38:00 -0800

> GFotios <address@hidden>
>
> | Good! Thats the way it should be.
> |
> | Regarding the logo/icon difference: Usually a logo has the product
> | name with well defined style (colors, fonts, format, etc) like the one
> | i sent in png. The product name is usually combined with a pic that is
> | used as the application icon. In general designers that work for big
> | companies make a <product id> (20 - 70 pages) where they define all
> | these things in detail. The design id is then used as the rule for
> | creating all kind of promotion (from web pages to tshirts and cups).
>
> I really like the latest logo/image with the "elliptical" O and the
> boxes best of all the ones so far.
>
> If you agree, then where should we put them?  In the Octave sources,
> should we only include image files at various sizes to be used as
> icons, or would you like to also distribute the svg file, or is there
> another source file used by inkscape?
The svg format by itself is enough for most modern operating systems.  It
still might be nice, however, to put out bitmapped versions of the small
(16x16), medium (32x32) and large (48x48).  I would prefer to have the
original Inkscape source stored in Mercurial.

To use the logo itself with Texinfo I need one change.  When Inkscape
exports in eps format the bounding box is drawn tightly to the figure.  In
the current case this cuts off a smidgen of the right-hand edge of the
oval.  The hack, which I used and was proposed on Inkscape message boards,
is to put a white rectangle in the background of the figure which has the
dimensions that you want the eps box to clip to.

The second thought is that it might be nice to have the gradient in the
blue oval fade slightly more towards the right-hand side of the logo.  This
might give the object more of the appearance of being lit up from an angle.

--Rik