Re: Issues & questions building Octave-3.4.2 MinGW

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Issues & questions building Octave-3.4.2 MinGW
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 00:20:58 +0200

Hi Tatsuro:

Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
Hello

--- On Sun, 2011/7/10, Philip Nienhuis  wrote:
.
I also found a number of "gpnewlib" entries (=>  gplibs) and stray
include dirs starting with "/projetos/gcc/ming/..."

<snip>

Oops!  I have missed them when I renamed the directory for gnuplot.
I will check it and modify them and upload corrected library archives.

Are you sure a new upload is really needed?

First, Octave does get built OK in spite of these "wrong" path settings.
The only issue is that tons and tons of libtool messages are generated during "make" about "lib<blah-blah> seems to be moved" - AFAICS unnecessary and even annoying as the configure script has found those libs anyway and Octave passes almost all tests.

Second, your path settings are only valid if people install your build environment at exactly the same location as where you have put them. I didn't do that - C:\ is my system partition and I never do development work there - the "conftest error" (see below) is a fine example why. So some people need to adapt (all these) path settings all the same.

As to the tests, the three unexpected FAILs are in:
- imread.m
"imread: invalid image file: Magick++ exception: Magick: Unable to access configuration file (magic.mgk) reported by magick/blob.c:1830 (GetConfigureBlob)"
   -and-
- data.cc
where NaN / NaNi are returned rather than the expected Inf / Infi.

Thanks!

My pleasure. While trying to adapt a few things I'm slowly getting to understand bit by bit what you have accomplished and how the whole stuff sticks together. I knew, and can confirm, that it must have been a lot of work.
Thank *you* again for sharing the results.

Do you also have a description of how you have set up the Octave-3.4.2 directory (the "binary") itself?

On. WIndows XP. It alwas occur in checking hard link.
However on windows 7, it has not been occurred.
Perhaps checking routine should be modified for windows XP but I cannot find
the way to correct it.

Indeed, it happens when configure tests if rename manages hard links.
I'll file a bug report for this.

Done.

(chkdsk-ing a 150 GB NTFS partition with 250,000-or-so files takes very
long...)
This error is really annoying when building octave on windows XP.
I hope this will be fixed for comfortable build on Win XP.

Me too. This situation is fairly discouraging - not only for developers:
my 8-yr old daughter has a hard time understanding why she has to wait half an hour before she can use the computer after I'm done :-)

Regards,

Philip