Contradictory results from u_test und sign_test

From: Alexander Klein
Subject: Contradictory results from u_test und sign_test
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 15:52:14 +0200

Hi,

a while ago I noticed that u_test and sign_test produce quite contradictory
results:

octave-3.2.3:1> X=[1 2 3]
X =

  1   2   3

octave-3.2.3:2> Y=[4 5 6]
Y =

  4   5   6

octave-3.2.3:3> sign_test (X,Y,"<")
warning: binomial_cdf is obsolete and will be removed from a future version of
Octave; please use binocdf instead
 pval: 0.125
ans =  0.12500
octave-3.2.3:4> u_test (X,Y,"<")
 pval: 0.975233
ans =  0.97523

I contacted the original author, Kurt Hornik, but since he wrote the functions
quite some time ago he couldn't remember the details, yet agreed that at least
one result is questionable.

Kind regards,

        Alex

--
Alexander Klein, Dipl.-Math.                    Fon: 0641/99-32194
Lehrstuhl für Numerische Mathematik             Fax: 0641/99-32199