Re: Profiler already proving useful

From: Michael D Godfrey
Subject: Re: Profiler already proving useful
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 20:07:39 -0700

On 07/22/2011 12:15 PM, Daniel Kraft wrote:
Hi Rik,

On 07/22/11 20:39, Rik wrote:
> I wanted to let you know that the profiler is already proving useful.  I
> was taking a look at this issue report
> (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?33680) where the user complained of really
> lengthy run times.  He had narrowed it down to a call to regexp() and
> replacing it with strsplit seemed to improve matters.  Just for fun, I
> decided to try the profiler and see what it thought.  Even without GUIs to
> look over the data, it pointed the finger at an entirely different
> function, strtrim().  Sure enough, I replaced strtrim with a call to
> regexprep and got a 15X speedup.
that's really nice to hear! :)

Regarding without GUIs: Since my last patch (which was pushed by Jordi
recently), there's a function 'profshow' which can be used to print out
the "hottest" functions in a table.

Maybe you already used this function and don't regard it as a real
"GUI", but at least you don't have to work through the structure array
any longer and get the data already sorted.

Cheers,
Daniel

Daniel,

Just want to add my congratulations.  I  gave profile a first
try:  worked perfectly!  I do not know if profshow is a "GUI" but it
seems it will work just fine for me.  Do not worry about GUIness
just keep making stuff that works.

You seem to have gotten a lot done this Summer already.
Google should be impressed, too.

Michael