Re: chebfun

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: chebfun
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 19:59:28 -0500

On  9-Dec-2011, fork wrote:

| Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <jordigh <at> octave.org> writes:
|

| > On 8 December 2011 18:19, J.J.Green <j.j.green <at> gmx.com> wrote:
| > > There has been some discussion on this list concerning porting
| > > the chebfun package to octave
|
| Is there a convention about where to keep ported ML packages? Or maybe we
should
| at least start a list or something... On my overflowing queue, I have a port
of
| SeDuMi and Yalmip somewhere, that is why I am especially curious.

When porting these kinds of things, I think it would be best to try to
work with the original authors if you can so that you don't create a
fork of the project.  By avoiding a fork, we have a better chance to
use future versions as well, rather than just the one version you
ported.  Plus, if you show the original authors that their package can
run in Octave, we might also be able to get them interested in Octave,
perhaps even to the point where they would recommend it instead of
continuing to promote Matlab.