Re: How to download the gui on the Mecurial repository and requirements

From: marco atzeri
Subject: Re: How to download the gui on the Mecurial repository and requirements
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 08:39:23 +0100

On 12/20/2011 11:47 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 20 December 2011 17:15, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
I would like to challenge to build gui on the Mecurial repository.
Please show me how to get the source and dependencies  and tools for
the build.

On Windows? I'm not sure.

On Debian or Ubuntu, if the following instructions work, perhaps they
should go on the wiki:

     1) Install deps:

         apt-get install libqt4-dev

     2) Change to the gui branch

         cd octave-mercurial-clone
         hg update gui

     3) Build *and install* Octave the usual way (the GUI code
     currently only works with the "system" Octave, not the one in the
     same build directory, this is partly why it's still in its own
     branch instead of the default branch)

     4) Switch to the gui/ directory, and build with:

         qmake
         make

I was trying the build with cygwin, but the build process stop here:

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?35115

with gcc 4.5.3-3 and Qt 4.7.4-2

     5) You can run the gui in-place with

         ./start.sh

     Perhaps you might need to specify where the runtime libraries are
     with something like (this works for me):

         LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/dev-octave/lib/octave/3.5.0+/ ./start.sh

The code currently seems to be in very bad shape. It segfaults when
you close it, and it connects automatically to IRC. The GUI needs a
lot of work, but I think it is a solid base to work on.

- Jordi G. H.

Regards
Marco