Re: Project proposal for GSoC.

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Project proposal for GSoC.
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:50:29 -0600

On 02/26/2012 09:05 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
2012/2/26 Daniel J Sebald<address@hidden>:
It would be interesting to see how GPUs could be included in Octave.

And I think that before we get razzle-dazzled by all the shiny things
that GPUs can do, we should tackle the more fundamental problem that
they can't do these things freely.

At least there are free compilers. What good is a free numerical
environment largely compatible with Matlab if it can't compute freely
when using GPUs?

I'm not sure what you mean. The "free" part of Octave doesn't pertain to what the software is run on. I had to buy my computer. If I wanted to buy a compiler instead of gcc and compile Octave, I could, right? There's nothing in the license I know of that restricts use of Octave in that way, and there shouldn't be.

You ask "what good is...?" which I interpret to mean "Who would use this?" In other words, is there a big enough user base to make the effort worthwhile? My point is that because OpenCL seems to be an emerging standard that many are adopting (and in some cases dropping their own approach)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL
http://www.khronos.org/opencl/

that yes there could be a big user base.

We aren't talking about including libraries or hunks of code that are proprietary in Octave. I don't completely understand OpenCL's standard, but it's a case of writing code with extensions to the C standard and that code would remain open as part of Octave. The standardization makes it an interesting twist on what Ben was getting at.

The bigger issue is how to incorporate something like that. Not easy. Surely integrating it into Octave core is not a task for a mere mortal. And compiling it as a plug-in of sorts might be just as daunting.

Dan