Re: volunteer to test patch for Octave on Windows ?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: volunteer to test patch for Octave on Windows ?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 07:44:53 -0500

On Feb 28, 2012, at 7:24 AM, Michael Goffioul wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM, nitnit <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> bpabbott wrote
>>>
>>> I have a patch on the tracker I'd like to test. Its purpose is to allow
>>> the gnuplot figure position to be set the by figure's positon property.
>>>
>>>       figure (1, "posiiton", ...)
>>>
>>> As you mentioned you have 3.6.1 built and running on Windows, can I impose
>>> on you to test the patch for he bug below ?
>>>
>>>       https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?35072
>>>
>>> On the other hand, I'm happy to do that myself, but don't have an Octave
>>> install on my VBOX Windows 7. Is there a way I can download your binary
>>> installer for 3.6.1 ?
>>>
>>> Ben
>>>

>> I have tried the patch on the installed scripts in my recent mingw
>> octave-3.6.1 and it seems that gnuplot plots are now positioned with
>> defaults (didnwt function before), the position can be read (get...) but
>> when changed (set...), it doesn't change the actual plot position !
>>
>> You can test this yourself with my mingw version (see
>> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/3-6-1-mingw-binaries-for-testing-td4422532.html)
>>
>> Regards
>> Nitzan
>
> Same here. I've update my gnuplot to 4.4.4. Figure is positioned as
> default and you can change that at figure creation, but specifying the
> position property, like:
>
> figure('position', [10 10 600 600])
> sombrero
>
> But changing the position of a visible figure does not work.
>
> Michael.

Thanks Nitzan/Michael.

The only time we can specify the figure position is when gnuplot opens it. In
order to change the window position, it would be necessary to close the one
already opened. This might be possible for x11, wxt, etc, but is it not for
aqua ... gnuplot is unable to close "aqua" terminals :-(

Another problem is that gnuplot doesn't keep track of changes to the figure
position by the user/mouse, and doesn't have a mechanism for telling octave
about it if it did.

In any event, the patch is intended to allow the user to specify the initial
figure position. Thanks for verifying it works. I've pushed the changeset.

        http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/12d13534265c

Ben