Re: Octave 3.6.1 mingw for windows - updated

From: Sébastien Villemot
Subject: Re: Octave 3.6.1 mingw for windows - updated
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 15:51:44 +0200

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> writes:

> 2012/4/5 Sébastien Villemot <address@hidden>:
>> During the installation it is possible to only install Octave without
>> the Octave-Forge packages (by unclicking a checkbox).
>
> People are basically illiterate. They don't care what they're
> installing or why. They just want "everything". They need a little
> guidance here.
>
>> From my point of view, if the user installs the Octave-Forge packages,
>> he expects them to be autoloaded. At least this is the policy that we
>> adopted in the Debian Octave Group.
>
> Debian users have a habit to pay attention to what they're installing
> and will complain loudly if packages they don't recognise are being
> installed. Windows users have the habit of
> "next->next->I-agree->next->next->done".

So what is your suggestion for the behaviour of the installer if the
user accepts all the defaults?

- install octave-forge pkgs and mark them as autoload=yes (current behavior)
- install octave-forge pkgs and mark them as autoload=no
- do not install octave-force pkgs (but mark them as autoload=yes if the
  user decides to install them)
- do not install octave-force pkgs (but mark them as autoload=no if the
  user decides to install them)

Note that the current choice of installing and autoloading everything is
well-suited for my Dynare users, since they will want at least
optim+statistics+io+java, and I prefer not to ask my users to type a
couple of "pkg" commands after installation.

--
Sébastien Villemot
Researcher in Economics & Debian Maintainer