Re: get-involved.html Mercurial terminology

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: get-involved.html Mercurial terminology
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 09:51:18 -0400

On 17 May 2012 04:20, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:
> It's been years since I read the Mercurial manual, so I can't
> exactly recall the concepts.  From what I do remember, the
> expression "check out" isn't something that should be used in
> reference to Mercurial.

Eh, I'd use the term "clone" which is now becoming common with DVCSes.
But I suppose it's ok to use a more neutral term like "obtain". I
decided to use "obtain" in the web version and "clone" in the HACKING
file:

http://web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/octave/octave/get-involved.html?r1=1.3&r2=1.4

On 17 May 2012 04:43, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:
> Related to my previous post, there are many uses of the expression
> "check out" in the HACKING file.  (Why HACKING as opposed to
> BUILDING?)

Because we describe more than building. Also, because hacking is more
fun than building.

I've modified the language a bit:

    http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/f40c355491cc

> I was reading the notes from the Savanah repository.  Mercurial has
> an automatic web page generator for repositories, so I often go
> there to browse files and a nice list of changesets of the recent
> past.

Okay, also fixed.

> Also, here's another example that isn't quite accurate:
>
> "At this point, there should be no difference between your local
> copy, and the master copy:
>
>  $ hg diff"
>
> What is the "master" copy?

Fixed in the same cset.