Compilation failing related to lex.ll

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Compilation failing related to lex.ll
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 19:34:00 -0500

John,

I'm trying to compile and have had a number of problems that seem to revolve around the lex.ll file and yacc/bison/gperf. I see that you made a change within the past couple days. Here is the short version of things, but I have detailed notes with errors, etc. if you would like me to email to you separately:

1) I kept running configure until all but FFTW3, FFTW3F, and OpenGL were utilized. 2) Upon compiling, error on something requiring flex. Looked at config.log and see that flex is not present. Installed flex, reconfigured. configure passed, but not cleanly as I see the following:

configure:59019: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -pthread   conftest.c  -lm   >&5
/tmp/ccJsdEZe.o: In function `input':
/usr/local/src/octave/octave/lex.yy.c:1168: undefined reference to `yywrap'
/tmp/ccJsdEZe.o: In function `yylex':
/usr/local/src/octave/octave/lex.yy.c:867: undefined reference to `yywrap'
/tmp/ccJsdEZe.o: In function `main':
/usr/local/src/octave/octave/conftest.l:17: undefined reference to `yywrap'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:59019: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h */

3) Upon compiling, error on something requiring gperf. Checked config.log and see it is missing, installed gperf, reconfigured. configure passed. 4) Recompiled and there are 100+ errors with what seem like missing macros in octave.gperf as included from lex.cc or lex.ll, however that works.
5) I installed bison, and that didn't seem to change anything.

I did some searching and poking around. Maybe some of the following scraps will help you. If you need more details, let me know.

Dan

++++++

Inside of the lex.ll file I see:

// Include these so that we don't have to link to libfl.a.

int
yywrap (void)
{
  return 1;
}

Is this what is causing ./configure to fail the conftest?

++++++

Inside lex.ll is this comment:

// These would be alphabetical, but y.tab.h must be included before
// oct-gperf.h and y.tab.h must be included after token.h and the tree
// class declarations.  We can't include y.tab.h in oct-gperf.h
// because it may not be protected to allow it to be included multiple
// times.

by there is no y.tab.h in the list of files. Is this comment obsolete? Has y.tab.h been moved and inherently now after oct-gperf.h which is the source of the 100+ errors I'm seeing?

++++++

Old references:

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Re-Octave-in-CVS-has-busted-configure-td1642655.html#a1642657

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.octave.general/27886