Re: Getting rid of 3.4.0 dmg

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Getting rid of 3.4.0 dmg
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 09:08:44 -0400

On May 29, 2012, at 8:30 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> On 29 May 2012 08:07, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I've added simple installation instructions for the available
>> package managers on MacOS X.
>>
>>        http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Octave_for_MacOS_X
>>
>> The wiki still contains a page on installing the bundle. Should be
>> delete that and the bundles are sourceforge, or just encourage users
>> to use the package managers?
>
> Awesome, Ben, thank you so much. It's a pity that making a .dmg has
> proven too difficult, but those package managers should prove viable
> and perhaps they will help someone else making a .dmg.
>
> I have a question. Can you test if the following .pkg works instead of
> Xcode? Not only is it a much smaller download, but it also doesn't
> require agreeing to Apple's NDA and associated legalese nor to use
> iTunes:
>
>    https://github.com/kennethreitz/osx-gcc-installer
>
> I have briefly tested in the past that this package does give you a
> working set of tools, but I didn't go as far as testing if macports or
> homebrew worked with it.
>
> Thanks again!
> - Jordi G. H.

I'd rather not risk breaking my tool set and having to start over. And am not
sure I can easily reinstall XCode now that it is part of the MacOS X App store
(essentially Apple's package manager).

If I had a box with no XCode installed, then I'd give it a try. To that end, I
placed a request for testers on the wiki.

        http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Octave_for_MacOS_X

Ben