Re: [OctDev] bug with optim-1.1.0.tar.gz and mac os 10.7.4

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: [OctDev] bug with optim-1.1.0.tar.gz and mac os 10.7.4
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 08:35:28 -0700

On 6/6/12 5:50 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 6 June 2012 08:10, Olaf Till <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 07:15:57AM -0400, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
>> wrote:
>
>>> There's also the issue that we have two mkoctfile programs, one in
>>> bash and one in C++.
>>
>> Is mkoctfile.cc only for use on Windows? Then this specific change
>> with "-framework" probably would not need to go into it.
>
> But then this becomes a maintenance problem down the line. Duplication
> of code is problematic, moreso when each duplicate intentionally forks
> off in slightly different directions. I think perhaps we should only
> keep the C++ version, in the interest of cross-platform maintenance.
>
>> Isn't recognizing one more flag (even if only passing it to the
>> linker, although it seemingly also could passed to the compiler) a
>> step in the right direction?
>
> I'd rather not have a host of weird flags in mkoctfile just because
> one OS that happens to be currently popular has weird flags (Octave
> has been around for 20 years, and it may be around for 20 more years).
> If we're gonna fix this, let's fix this correctly *now*. I know it's a
> chore, but sooner or later, we're gonna have to do it. It's not gonna
> be any more pleasant or exciting to do this later than it is to do it
> now.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

What ultimately gets done is up to you folks, of course.

As a near-term workaround, might I suggest putting something in the
online documentation telling OS X users to avoid later mkoctfile usage
problems by always using the "-Wl,-framework,foo" syntax rather than
just "-framework foo" when using frameworks?  This would apply for
configuring the Octave build as well as when they build tools that use
Octave.

That way they have a better chance of being able to hand-build Octave
and use "pkg install -forge <pkgname>" if they don't want to use a
package manager.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison