Re: OP_SRCDIR rule

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: OP_SRCDIR rule
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 13:58:43 -0500

On 09/01/2012 01:39 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 09/01/2012 01:35 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 1-Sep-2012, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| Compilation appears to be proceeding, but I notice now there seems
to be
| duplicate includes:

[snip]
| i.e.,
|
| -I../liboctave/array -I../../octave/liboctave/array

Are you building in the source tree?

If you are building in a separate directory tree, then these will not
be the same.

Oh, that's right. There are both generated and non-generated files,
hence the multiple directories.

Only a few directories with generated header files actually:

liboctave/operators
libinterp/
libgnu/

so a lot of the included directories aren't need.  Not that critical.

One thing I did notice is that you changed the order of inclusion to make the compile work (I think). Typically, header files are designed so that order of inclusion isn't critical. Are there header files with the same name in the source tree somewhere?

One thing that can be done (but I'm not saying it is the answer for something in this case) is to include a directory in the header file name used in the source code, e.g.:

#include <libgnu/stdio.h>
#include <libinterp/version.h>

For example, if that is done with the generated header files, then there really isn't a need to include the build-tree "libinterp" directory in the compile command.

Dan