Re: Domain Math IDE

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Domain Math IDE
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 01:14:14 -0700 (PDT)

bpabbott wrote

> Anyone have any info on this?
>
> https://sites.google.com/site/domainmathide

I had some time to try v0.0.7 yesterday night.

On Windows it simply won't start. Some splash screen flashes by and that's
it; I couldn't fix that :-(

On Linux some required pre-processing (from the user's POV; or should it be
post-processing from developer's POV?) is more successful:
- All script files need a run through dos2unix  8-O
- Then it needs javaw, but my OpenJDK 1.7.0 doesn't have that. Editing the
script to use "java" helps.
After that, well, it runs.

But then the next issues come up:
- Separate command input and output windows (like QtOctave had) - not my cup
of tea
- One needs to set literally all paths manually
- The command line isn't advanced to the next line upon <Enter>
- and I could go on and on.

All in all:
A nice try for DomainMathIDE, but unfortunately a bit obsolete from the
start.
Octave's own IDE/GUI, though lacking here and there, is much more usable (on
Linux that is).

Philip