Re: [patch #7847] Make gnuplot Qt terminal default for GUI/IDE via envir

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: [patch #7847] Make gnuplot Qt terminal default for GUI/IDE via environment variable
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 08:37:43 -0400

On Sep 24, 2012, at 8:15 AM, Mike Miller wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 9:36 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>>
>> jeezz ... that doesn't make any sense.  I was too rushed for a coherent
>> post, so I'm back with a bit more patience to improve it ;-)
>>
>> I was intending that octave-gui.cc include something like below.  With that
>> perhaps __gnuplot_drawnow__.m doesn't need to be changed?
>>
>>        std::string gnuterm = getenv ("GNUTERM");
>>        if (gnuterm.empty ())
>>          setenv ("GNUTERM", "qt", 1);
>
> Yeah, that's essentially the first diff I put up on the patch tracker.
> This keeps GNUTERM if it was already set but the user still gets the
> warning if they don't have Qt gnuplot. If that's the way you guys want
> it, that's ok, but I think we may get complaints down the road about
> the warning.

ok.  I was under the impression that the warning coincided with a plot, but it
actually occurs when gnuplot is run, correct?

> Here is the original patch I submitted on this topic, looks a lot like yours
> :)
> https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?7847#comment3
>
> If you still want it that way I can commit that change.

Any reason not to call __gnuplot_has_terminal__  in octave-gui.cc before
setting GNUTERM?  This can be done using feval().  I don't see this in our
docs, but I thought it used to be part of OctaveForge (I don't see it there
anymore).  I did find a description at the link below.

        http://www.pt.xemacs.org/wiki.pl?CodaStandalone

I may have something wrong, but the untested code below illustrates the idea.

        octave_value_list functionArguments;
        functionArguments(0) = "qt";
        const octave_value_list have_qt = feval ("__gnuplot_has_terminal__",
functionArguments, 1);

Ben