Re: [OctDev] complex error function

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: [OctDev] complex error function
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 11:30:20 -0500

On 11/21/12 11:11 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
It matters from a maintainership and code ownership perspective. If
you're just making a library, why not actually just create such a
library and you go through the hassle of making releases instead of us
gluing your code into Octave? I sure don't want to have to keep two
different copies of the same code in different codebases each with its
own diverging set of bugs. Then we can maintain the Octave-specific
wrapper ourselves and you can keep maintaining your library.

I certainly don't want you to have a diverging set of bugs; regardless of how this is incorporated into Octave or OF (assuming it is), I would hope that you would contact me regarding bug reports and patches.

On my side, I will plan to notify you if I have any bugfixes or other relevant updates on my end. I have already been doing that for SciPy.

As I said in my other email, it is no trouble for me to provide a library; this is just a four-line Makefile on my end (well, a bit(!) larger if I use autotools, but that is probably overkill). However, the problem on your end is then getting people to install a new library that no one has ever heard of.

The alternative would be to do what SciPy is doing: include my Faddeeva.cc file verbatim, write your Octave-specific glue in a separate file, and incorporate upstream changes as needed.

--SGJ